Thursday, October 1, 2009

What country did the Cherokees live in before they came to North America


What country did the Cherokees live in before they came to North America?
I'm Cherokee and I know nothing about my heritage. I understand that Native Americans crossed the Baring Strait when it was still dry land but what country did the Cherokee tribe live in before the trip across the strait? China? Japan? Mongolia? Russia? Any historical or possibly medical/scientific information is welcomed. I'm rewording my details. I'm Cherokee but I didn't grow up learning about my heritage. Since the Native Americans came here over the Bering Strait, what modern Asian people are they most related to?
History - 11 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm wondering how it's possible to "be Cherokee" and "know nothing about" your heritage. How is that possible?
2 :
There was no formal "country" at that time. The area they came from would become Russia.
3 :
They crossed the Bering Strait thousands of years ago and where they came from is irrelevant, because they were probably from different places. Human being originated from Africa and the Homo Erectus was the species that migrated outside of Africa. That's probably around when they came to America. Countries didn't exist back then, so it's impossible to say where they were from exactly
4 :
I'm cherokee and i know a lot about your heritage, so if you E-mail me i will send you some info here kibibetunda@yahoo.com, thank you.
5 :
The continants had well divided before the Native Americans were even identified. Pre-Historic man roamed first. North America has not much changed since its discovery. As man developed, over the thousands of years, the different tribes were formed. The different countries you list didn't exist back then. The Cherokee lived nowhere besides north america.
6 :
You will find the answer to your rather enigmatic question if you pay 99 bucks for the National Geographic's genographic kit at https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html ... good luck. I plan to participate soon.
7 :
they basically came across the bearing strait. Asia and Siberia. i one of my great great aunts was a cherokee indian. It pretty weird but i and a couple of my family members have her traits.
8 :
Nearly all Native Americans crossed the land-bridge from northern asian continent from what is now called Russia. It would be fascinating to do DNA testing to finally establish which area they are most closely related and to which blood-line they can be traced. I rather doubt if you could actually trace to country-specific blood lines. Let me be as specific as one can be at this point in time: Asian/Mongoloid. In South American tribes I would suspect that there is a strong Polynesian influence although the proof would be in the DNA there, too.
9 :
we aren't from asia. but people will say we are so they can feel better about all the deceit and bloodshed used to take this land from us. there is no proof...in fact there is more proof that we are right from north america. sorry to disappoint.
10 :
siyo! Although many have said that native peoples came across to here from other places, they have really no proof. Evidence is found more and more that "pushes" the date of the "arrival" of the native peoples to this continent farther and farther "back". My elders taught me this... our Creator Unehlanvhi created us and put us HERE. We were made for and of this land. We are not immigrants. We were not exiled here. We were not displaced. It is our homeland and we have ALWAYS been here. It is often those who wish to displace us that state that we "came" here. As for DNA-- there is absolutely NO reliable DNA testing for a patrilineal blood line for Cherokees and the matrilineal one is suspect too. I don't recommend it. Its a waste of money at this point because the technology just is not "there" yet.
11 :
Check out the following website to access any countries information: http://www.countriesinformation.net






Read more discussions :