Wednesday, December 7, 2011

National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar - Summer School


National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar - Summer School?
I'm a college freshman, a Mechanical Engineering Major/Chinese Minor. Problem is, I have nothing planned for my summer. I didn't get an engineering-related internship, I don't have a summer job, and I don't have any other plans either. I only recently found out about the National University of Mongolia Summer Program: http://num.edu.mn/Default.aspx?tabid=459 I've always been fascinated by Mongolia. The empire of Genghis Khan, its years as part of Qing "China", its status as a Russian satellite-state in the 20th century, it's current ambiguous place in the world. The people and their culture appear fascinating from afar. I have experience traveling abroad in so far as I've visited family in Moscow, Russia on a regular basis. I can easily read Cyrillic writing, albeit I have no knowledge of the Mongolian language (or any other Altaic language). However, I wonder if my fluency in Russian could help me to communicate within Ulaanbaatar? Instinctively, I genuinely want to investigate this summer program. I've done what research I could and have come to understand that I'd have to fly to Moscow (or various other cities, but flying through Moscow is cheapest from where I'm based) first and only then to Ulaanbaatar, since its such an esoteric destination for an American. However, I must wonder: would I utterly hate myself for deciding to go there as soon as the time actually came? Would the reality be a painful sobering experience? Would I be miserable or bored in Ulaanbaatar? Would I find the living conditions in the university dormitory and the city unbearable? These are very hard questions to research, so I was hoping to come across someone with first-hand experience on Yahoo Answers. Furthermore, would traveling to Ulaanbaatar be a genuine danger for an American, more so than traveling to Moscow? Even if one doesn't have to fear for his life, is there a legitimate chance that students will be robbed or exploited in other ways? My way of phrasing these questions is somewhat chaotic, but that's in part because I've often found travel to be chaotic and unpleasant, even in Moscow and in western European cities like Rome. Even so, when a place is genuinelly interesting, the psychological discomforts of traveling can be overcome. It's when there's a physical danger that the real reason to rethink travel plans comes in. So, my question boils down to: Is going to a summer program in Mongolia reckless/stupid/pointless/crazy/dangerous? Thank you for the help!
Other - Asia Pacific - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Go ahead with your plans,with the background knowledge that you have cited,it should'nt be any problem in Mongolia.






Read more discussions :